Willard Abbott received his A.B. from the University of Rochester in 1858. During the Civil War, he served as Captain in the 13th NY volunteers (1862) and in the 140th NY Infantry (1863-1865), and as Major in the 140th Infantry (1865). After the Civil War, he was employed by the Consolidated Coal and Mining Company in Cincinnati, OH.
Endowed Funds - A
This fund was established by the Max A. Adler Charitable Foundation Inc. to support the purchase of books and materials for Rush Rhees Library to benefit students, faculty and community patrons. Mr. Adler was President of the Rochester-based textile company known as Tapetex. He was born in Rochester to the Adler clothing manufacturing family, and graduated from Harvard University in 1903. The purpose of the Foundation, as stated in the Adler will, are "to aid and assist charitable and educational activities of the University of Rochester." Mr. Adler died in 1965 at the age of 83.
Joseph T. Alling, Class of 1876, was University treasurer from 1903-1916, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1895 to 1937, and chairman of the Board from 1932 to 1937. The endowment was created from the sale of 300 Greek, Roman, and Byzantine coins that had been donated by Mr. Alling. The coins were sold at public auction, and netted $190,000 for the fund. The purpose of the fund is for the purchase of books for the Rush Rhees Library collections.
This fund was established for acquisition of Rochester, New York State, and University of Rochester archival material under the supervision of the Director of Rare Books and Special Collections.
This fund was established by the Estate of Mrs. Margaret Butterfield Andrews to be used for printed and manuscript material for Rare Books and Special Collections at Rush Rhees Library.
Mrs. Andrews '26, '28 (MA) also earned a library science degree from Columbia University in 1937. She was the head of the Local History and Archives Department in Rush Rhees Library. She worked in the Library for more than 41 years until she retired in 1970.
In the 1930s, she oversaw one of the first microfilming projects of a manuscript collection, the papers of the American anthropologist Lewis Henry Morgan. From 1945 to 1970, she was an editor of the University of Rochester Library Bulletin. In 1960, the then Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences (now the Rochester Museum and Science Center) honored her work in local history by electing her a Fellow of the Museum. The citation noted that she was "a scholar ever ready to share her knowledge." During the summer of 1969, Mrs. Andrews served as acting director of the River Campus Libraries.
The Fund was the result of a bequest of Avery Allen Ashdown, an alumnus of the University, who in his will gave the money in memory of his mother, Clara Avery, to the University of Rochester with the stipulation that the net income would be used for the benefit of Rush Rhees Library.