George David Hale entered the University of Rochester in 1866. Upon graduation, he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and three years later the University conferred upon him the degree of master of arts. He was the founder of the Hale Classical and Scientific School, which was a boy's preparatory school in Rochester, NY.
Endowed Funds - H
The fund is the result of a generous gift from John "Jack" Handy, Class of 1944, and his wife, Pauline "Diddy" Faulkner Handy, Class of 1948. Mr. and Mrs. Handy are loyal and generous supporters of the University and have been active as alumni volunteers including membership on the Libraries' Advisory Council and in the Friends of the Libraries. They are both involved in a number of other community activities in the Rochester area. In addition to outright gifts that allowed for the establishment of the Handy endowment, the fund will be supplemented by two deferred gifts in the future. The fund is used to support new teaching initiatives of the College's faculty, to address identified weaknesses in collections that are affecting the ability of the faculty to teach courses in the College, to support student groups or clubs with library materials, and to address general reading interests of the students and/or faculty. "We believe that books are the nourishment of the mind and the soul. It's a pleasure to be a source of this nourishment through the John and Pauline Handy Book Fund."
Jack and Diddy Handy.
Established in memory of Rear Admiral William Harkness by his family. Harkness, a graduate of the Class of 1858, became well known as a naval astronomer and served as director of the U.S. Naval Observatory. In 1946, Harkness Hall, laid out in the shape of a ship, was named for him and originally housed the University's naval science program.
Mr. Horace Hart established the endowment as a stipulation of his will. Mr. Hart was born in 1910 and grew up on Seneca Parkway in the city of Rochester. He attended Harvard University where he compiled his first book, Bibliotheca Typographica: A List of Books About Books. He had a life-long interest in the history of printing and had an extensive collection of books on the subject and examples of the works of great printers and typographers. He was president of the Printing House of Leo Hart until it was sold in 1955; was the first Director of the Printing and Publishing Industries Division of the U.S. Department of Commerce; and served as president of the Lanston Monotype Company and the Montoype Company of Canada, Ltd. until his retirement in 1990. The purpose of the Fund is to organize, maintain and preserve the Leo, Horace and Robert Hart archive and to purchase books that are examples of fine printing.
Mr. Horace Hart established the Fund in December of 1964 in memory of his parents. Leo and Ethel Hart were very active in the art of printing in Rochester where Mr. Hart owned a printing company. The fund was established to support acquisitions of rare books and materials for the Rare Books and Special Collections Department in Rush Rhees Library.
Thomas and Marion Hawks, long standing supporters of the University Libraries, generously bestowed these funds to support Rush Rhees Library in any way the Library saw fit. Mrs. Hawks was very active in the Friends of the Libraries.
The Heyen Collection consists of books, proofs, pamphlets, broadsides, photographs, manuscripts, and letters from poets and others to William Heyen, and Mr. Heyen's handwritten journals, manuscripts, and correspondence. The collection is housed in the Hyam Plutzik Library of Contemporary Writing in the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.
The Louise Alfreda Book Fund was established in 1981 by friends and former students of the late Professor L. Alfreda Hill, a deeply respected Professor of French at the University from 1925 until her retirement in 1963. Professor Hill was beloved by her students with whom she shared her profound knowledge of French literature and culture. Her colleagues appreciated her interest in their own work and her hospitality which she extended graciously. She stood for everything that is good in academia, an inspiration for all who knew her.
Dr. Hill held bachelor's and master's degrees from Cornell University and received a PhD from Johns Hopkins University. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the Modern Language Association, the American Association of University Professors, and Phi Sigma Iota, an honorary society in Romance languages. A native of Rochester, Professor Hill died on November 7, 1980 at the age of 79.
The Hill Fund was established to support the purchase of materials related to French literature. The purpose may be interpreted to include the purchase of creative literature in the French language or translated from the French original as well as critical works on French literature in any language. All purchases made through the fund are appropriately bookplated in Professor Hill's memory.
Mrs. Augusta Laney Hoeing established the Charles Hoeing Book Fund in 1940 and for 32 years contributed to it annually. Upon her death, she made an additional endowment to the Library in memory of her husband Charles Hoeing, the former Dean of the College of Men at the University of Rochester. Through the years, Mrs. Hoeing's other gifts had supported the acquisition of 18th century literature and Restoration drama. In the 1960s, Mrs. Hoeing donated funds for the Calvin C. Laney Garden Court, "a treasure spot between the bricks" of the Rare Books and Special Collections Department.