In his will, Thomas S. Lamont left $175,000 to the University Libraries in memory his father-in-law, Edward G. Miner, who was President of the University Trustees, with the stipulation that "first consideration [be given to] the needs of the Edward G. Miner Medical Library." It was later decided that this endowment would support the History of Medicine Collection of the Edward G. Miner Library.
Endowed Funds - L
This fund was established from the Estate of Rose Curtis Lapham. Mrs. Lapham was a graduate of the University of Rochester, Class of 1915, and had a career as a medical secretary and legal secretary. She was a Geneva, NY, court stenographer and met and married State Supreme Court Judge Nathan D. Lapham when she was his legal secretary. She was a Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra benefactor for 62 years, "since the doors [of the Eastman Theatre] were opened," and was granted charter ticket holder status by the RPO. She died August 30, 1984 at the age of 93.
Mrs. Lapham was a descendent of one of the pioneer families of Western New York. She grew up in the Curtis Homestead, Locust Hill, in Hilton, NY, which was built by her grandfather, Elias Curtis. Judge Lapham's great-grandfather, Abraham Lapham, was a Quaker pioneer who, in 1790, became one of the initial landholders in the town of Farmington, under the Phelps and Gorham Purchase.
This fund was established by his family in memory of Dr. Louis C. Lasagna, former chair and professor of pharmacology and toxicology at the University of Rochester's Medical Center. The purpose of the fund is to support the books, papers, and materials of Dr. Lasagna, which were gifted to the Rare Books and Special Collections Department of Rush Rhees Library.
The Lucius N. Littauer gift is used to purchase books for the Jewish studies collection of Rush Rhees Library.
This fund was established as a result of the sale of the University's coin collection. Adelbert Pierson Little, was a member of the Class of 1872 and was at one time president of Mechanics Savings Bank, which later became Community Savings Bank. The coin collection was held in Rush Rhees Library and had not been used for academic purposes for many years. The collection consisted of about 650 United States coins. The fund presently supports acquisitions for Rush Rhees Library.
Miss Florence E. Lyddon was a clinical research associate at Pennwalt Corporation for many years and established this fund in memory of her parents, Clinton and Florence Lyddon. Clinton Lyddon was Class of 1900 and Florence Lyddon was Class of 1937.
This fund was established in 1924 with a $100,000 gift from Mrs. Caroline Hamilton Lyon as a memorial to her husband, Edmund G. Lyon. Mr. Lyon was a graduate of the University of Rochester, Class of 1877, and was later a Trustee of the University. He was a graduate of Columbia Law School and practiced law in Rochester for several years before becoming a founder of the Rochester School for the Deaf. He developed Lyon's Phonetic Manual of Speech. A particularly striking bookplate by noted artist Rockwell Kent was affixed in books purchased by the fund.