Helen Verian Powers was an integral part of the library staff for more than 50 years beginning in 1942 as an assistant in the Circulation Department, and continuing through various positions before retiring as Head of Acquisitions in 1993. Miss Powers had a reputation for setting high standards and was noted for her attention to detail. During her tenure, the holdings of the library increased from about 200,000 volumes to nearly 3 million volumes. She bequeathed an exceedingly generous sum to Rush Rhees Library for the purchase of books and materials.
Endowed Funds - P
The fund was started by Charles C. Puffer's daughters Linda D. Puffer and Isabelle Puffer, and niece Mary Markham Selden (Mrs. Henry R. Selden) to obtain books relating to American literature and poetry. Artist Norman Kent created a beautiful bookplate for these volumes.